9 Common Types Of Social Network Scams
In the spirit of reminding people to be careful what they go on the Internet, I present to you the most common types of social network scams. This is a commentary based on a slideshow I saw today concerning Facebook frauds at The Huffington Post. Some of these might seem really obvious, but it never hurts to be reminded.
It also reminded me why some promotional contests, sweepstakes, and polls also come with a certain element of distrust. Even though most of us would never consider doing these things, it’s good to know why some get a bad rap.
When on a social network site, you could become enticed by these types of fraud as seen on Facebook:
- Copy and paste schemes (a.k.a. “clickjacking.”) – A screen pops out and on that screen is a code that the malicious user wants persons to copy and paste into the browser bar. When you do, it infects your computer and the attacker is able to access vital information.
- False polls and questionnaires – Beware if you see a quiz, survey, poll, or questionnaire that requires you give out your mobile phone number. They could be collecting your personal information before you give your opinion or answer your question. If you’re not careful, they can accumulate charges on your account.
- Phishing scams – Con artists often use convincing messages to try to get you to give up your profile password. More than likely, the page will resemble the site you typically visit. Usually you are presented with an urgent matter that requires your immediate attention but in order to fix the issue you have to give up your password.
- Phony urgent messages – If you see any notices by “The Facebook Team” or “Facebook” beware. It usually requires you to take some “urgent action.” Do not click on any links you see in these e-mails, because they could contain malicious viruses. Report the sender and delete the messages without clicking on anything. If you can view messages through a preview pane, that would be best.
- The money transfer scam – Usually the person sending this message sounds desperate. They usually say they have some kind of check they want you to cash in exchange for money via Western Union. They usually take the money and you never hear from the person again. This popular fraud is often seen on dating sites, but major social media sites have been hit as well.
- False friend requests – Before you accept a friend request, you may want to ask the person to remind you how you both met. If you don’t get a reply or you get one that doesn’t make sense, it’s probably a bot. It also could just be someone trying to access you from a fake account for the purpose of spamming.
- Page scams – Be careful. If you are asked to join a page, it could come from an untrustworthy source. The intention usually is to direct you through some kind of phishing or clickjacking scam as you might see on popular social sites.
- Malicious apps – These also are known as rogue apps. They appear to be legitimate, like the one Twitter has. You might also have apps that connect your sites together to help you reach a larger audience. Experts suggest that you take caution when choosing which apps you connect to your social network pages. Some of them could spread viruses, spyware, and other malicious content to try to steal your identity.
- False Adobe Flash update – Otherwise known as a Koobface worm, the main purpose of it is to download a virus in the guise of telling you to update your Flash player. This is one more way to collect your personal data and use it for evil.
This is Not Just On Facebook
The focus of the original article from which I found this information was focusing specifically on Facebook. However, these scams could happen on any site you join. For instance, if you are a member of eBay, eHarmony, Google Plus, Orkut, Myspace, LinkedIn, you could be a fraud victim. You have to be careful.
United States (US): New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Austin, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Columbus, Fort Worth, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Seattle, Denver, Washington, Boston, El Paso, Detroit, Nashville-Davidson, Memphis, Portland, Oklahoma City, Las Vegas, Louisville
United Kingdom (UK): London, Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Sheffield, Bradford, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Kirklees, Fife, Wirral, North Lanarkshire, Wakefield, Cardiff, Dudley, Wigan, East Riding, South Lanarkshire, Coventry, Belfast, Leicester, Sunderland, Sandwell, Doncaster, Stockport, Sefton, Nottingham
Canada: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Mississauga, North York, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Scarborough, Québec, Hamilton, Brampton, Surrey, Laval, Halifax, Etobicoke, London, Okanagan, Victoria, Windsor, Markham, Oshawa, Gatineau, Vaughan, Kitchener, Longueuil, Burnaby, Ladner, Saskatoon
Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong, Logan City, Geelong, Hobart, Townsville, Cairns, Toowoomba, Darwin, Rockingham, Launceston, Bendigo, Ballarat, Mandurah, Mackay, Bundaberg, Bunbury, Maitland, Armadale, Rockhampton, Adelaide Hills, South Brisbane, Hervey Bay
Magento eCommerce News
What is this Magento platform all about? Is the sentence, “Magento is the eCommerce technology that is set to live for ages”, correct? Popularity ratio attached with this platform answers this question. Before the year 2008, no developer had ever dreamt of using an eCommerce development platform
Companies offering Magento development solutions have the right to change their policies, but not without notifying their customers about the changes they make in support and maintenance terms and policies. There are several factors that lead to the revision of the policies. This might even affect
Magento is the leading eCommerce platform with multitude of features and benefits. The online market demands Magento websites to get improved exponentially. Meeting the fastest growing online market’s demand, helps businesses to receive desired ROI. Using this platform might be difficult or complex
If you own an online store, this article would help you in making its performance better. There might be several aspects responsible for poor or weak performance of your Magento website. Being an online store owner, you should make sure to get the best out of the Magento solution you paid for.
In the furious eCommerce competition, internet has turned into a platform for several online stores serving customers across the globe. Shopping habits are also changing with the availability of several varieties of products with best deals and discounts. Isn’t it great that to buy desired
With PSD to Magento conversion, web service providers’ offer e-commerce solution with better capabilities and functionalities. In the process of conversion, Magento adds interactivity to your website through the PSD design you provide. Offer a design you wish to implement and professional web
Marketing process holds high priority in business. This year is called “the year of innovative marketing strategies” and video marketing is one of such invention that was added to the inventions’ list. To impress a modern customer is not less than a strong challenge. It is the time your business
“Content”- is not just a word, it’s the major aspect affecting eCommerce industry. The ever changing market trends needs to be addressed. Engaging and interactive is considered the key to getting great visibility among popular search engines. Focusing on the conversion rates, eCommerce giants have
Online stores – simple, cost effective and one–stop-destination for all the shopaholic present around the world. To fulfill the complex requirements of the active shoppers, eCommerce business owners have to continuously monitor the performance of their online stores. Thus, by continuously looking
Magento is one of the most popular eCommerce development platforms trending nowadays. The era of online shopping is the revolution brought by Magento store development concept. Earlier, developing reliable and secure online stores was a tough and tedious task as it required many aspects into
eCommerce stores have made the shopping task simple and easy. There are few steps to take for completing the checkout process successfully. This process is a crucial step for any eCommerce store. Being the final step, it holds ample significance. Purchasing online is the latest shopping trend.
Magento is the open source content management system basically used for building eCommerce websites and applications. There is no doubt that eCommerce websites have been performing well in this world of internet. Building up an online store and managing it well is not at all enough. To get fair
Magento is one of the best eCommerce application development platform that can help web development companies build excellent eCommerce solutions for enterprises seeking customized eCommerce application for the success of their online business. Magento 2 is the latest version of Magento offering
In today’s eCommerce era, Magento is the star with myriads of features for web developers as well as customers. Over time customers, shopping online, have started expecting more from the online stores owned by eCommerce giants. Magento being the perfect platform for building eCommerce store offers
Each year brings something new and beneficial in all aspects of life. eCommerce market is no exception and it can feel these novelties and latest trends that are directly associated with these technologies. With previous year’s trends i.e. personalization, localization, etc. let’s have a closer