Six Easy Linkbuilding Tactics for Brand New Sites
In terms of search engine optimization (SEO), there are three categories of tasks that every website owner must complete if they want their site to be found at the top of a Google or Bing search engine results page. These task categories are:
- On-site optimization, such as writing a proper HTML title tag, a good META description tag, ensuring that your site can be crawled, etc.
- Creating great content, because no website can achieve long-term SEO success without great content.
- Promoting content to build links, because no one will find your great content unless you promote it.
Of these three categories, the last two are 95% of the SEO puzzle. As crucial as on-site SEO (#1) can be, it’s relatively simple to complete. Creating great content – and then promoting it like crazy to build links – is challenging and time consuming…especially if you have a brand new website.
Here are six tactics you can use to build links to a brand new site:
1. Help somebody out. If you’ve just launched a new website, one of the best ways to raise your profile and get some free links is to do something for free. You can offer a free product or service to a local business or non-profit in exchange for a link, for example, or you can announce a giveaway and promote it to industry media, run a contest on Facebook, etc.
2. Your new site design is probably unique, and you can leverage that. Website design galleries – which are often studied by web designers looking for new ideas – are a good link building opportunity if the design of your site is unique in some way. Perhaps the layout is unconventional, the color scheme is particularly handsome, or perhaps your site integrates a new tool or feature in a unique way.
Whatever the case, submitting your new site to design galleries for consideration certainly can’t hurt you. If the person managing the design gallery decides to include your site, you’ll get a link.
Galleries worth submitting to include CSSMayo.com, CSSDrive.com, and CSSBeauty.com, but there are many others. There are even a handful of industry-specific design galleries.
3. Search for sites that link to more than one of your competitors and ask for a link. Look for websites that list off companies who sell the same products and/or offer the same services that you do. Then, contact the owners of these sites and ask for your company to be added to the list. Writing an email that says something like “even though we’re new to the industry, we offer the same products/services and we’re hoping that you might include our company on your list as well” is a good approach.
To find sites that link to your competitors there’s a competitive link finder tool from SEOMoz (subscription req’d) that works nicely. If you don’t mind doing a little work in Excel, you can gather and analyze your competitor’s inbound link profiles using Blekko for free (see Internet Marketing Ninja’s Blekko SEO guide for a good primer).
4. Submit to industry and niche-specific directories. If you’ve just launched a new website for your dental practice, for example, there are half a dozen dental industry specific directories that will list your site for a nominal fee. While these directory links won’t launch your site to the top of the search engine rankings overnight, they’re relevant links, and the directories themselves will send you some visitors as well.
Of course, the trick is finding these niche directories. One of the best ways to hunt them down is to use the Whitespark local citation finder. Even though you might not be looking for local links, you can still find national, niche-specific directories by having the Whitespark tool hunt for citations in large markets like New York, Miami, Chicago, etc, and then comparing the results from all of these citation searches.
5. Submit a press release. While the effectiveness of this tactic has declined considerably in the past 18 months, press release submission is still a decent link building tactic for new sites if you invest in a quality submission service such as Marketwire, Businesswire, or GlobeNewsWire. Just make sure that your release is a) interesting b) newsworthy and c) properly optimized.
6. Leave quality, interesting comments on blogs relevant to your industry. While “blog commenting” has some negative connotations in the SEO industry, it’s a solid marketing tactic that every site owner should leverage as much as possible. By leaving intelligent, compelling comments on blog posts that are relevant to your industry, you will raise your profile with bloggers and generate some referral traffic to your website. Just make sure that when you comment and link to your site, you do so with your real name. No one likes to see blog comments by someone named “Canada Payday Loans.”
United States (US): New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Austin, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Columbus, Fort Worth, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Seattle, Denver, Washington, Boston, El Paso, Detroit, Nashville-Davidson, Memphis, Portland, Oklahoma City, Las Vegas, Louisville
United Kingdom (UK): London, Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Sheffield, Bradford, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Kirklees, Fife, Wirral, North Lanarkshire, Wakefield, Cardiff, Dudley, Wigan, East Riding, South Lanarkshire, Coventry, Belfast, Leicester, Sunderland, Sandwell, Doncaster, Stockport, Sefton, Nottingham
Canada: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, Mississauga, North York, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Scarborough, Québec, Hamilton, Brampton, Surrey, Laval, Halifax, Etobicoke, London, Okanagan, Victoria, Windsor, Markham, Oshawa, Gatineau, Vaughan, Kitchener, Longueuil, Burnaby, Ladner, Saskatoon
Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong, Logan City, Geelong, Hobart, Townsville, Cairns, Toowoomba, Darwin, Rockingham, Launceston, Bendigo, Ballarat, Mandurah, Mackay, Bundaberg, Bunbury, Maitland, Armadale, Rockhampton, Adelaide Hills, South Brisbane, Hervey Bay
Magento eCommerce News
What is this Magento platform all about? Is the sentence, “Magento is the eCommerce technology that is set to live for ages”, correct? Popularity ratio attached with this platform answers this question. Before the year 2008, no developer had ever dreamt of using an eCommerce development platform
Companies offering Magento development solutions have the right to change their policies, but not without notifying their customers about the changes they make in support and maintenance terms and policies. There are several factors that lead to the revision of the policies. This might even affect
Magento is the leading eCommerce platform with multitude of features and benefits. The online market demands Magento websites to get improved exponentially. Meeting the fastest growing online market’s demand, helps businesses to receive desired ROI. Using this platform might be difficult or complex
If you own an online store, this article would help you in making its performance better. There might be several aspects responsible for poor or weak performance of your Magento website. Being an online store owner, you should make sure to get the best out of the Magento solution you paid for.
In the furious eCommerce competition, internet has turned into a platform for several online stores serving customers across the globe. Shopping habits are also changing with the availability of several varieties of products with best deals and discounts. Isn’t it great that to buy desired
With PSD to Magento conversion, web service providers’ offer e-commerce solution with better capabilities and functionalities. In the process of conversion, Magento adds interactivity to your website through the PSD design you provide. Offer a design you wish to implement and professional web
Marketing process holds high priority in business. This year is called “the year of innovative marketing strategies” and video marketing is one of such invention that was added to the inventions’ list. To impress a modern customer is not less than a strong challenge. It is the time your business
“Content”- is not just a word, it’s the major aspect affecting eCommerce industry. The ever changing market trends needs to be addressed. Engaging and interactive is considered the key to getting great visibility among popular search engines. Focusing on the conversion rates, eCommerce giants have
Online stores – simple, cost effective and one–stop-destination for all the shopaholic present around the world. To fulfill the complex requirements of the active shoppers, eCommerce business owners have to continuously monitor the performance of their online stores. Thus, by continuously looking
Magento is one of the most popular eCommerce development platforms trending nowadays. The era of online shopping is the revolution brought by Magento store development concept. Earlier, developing reliable and secure online stores was a tough and tedious task as it required many aspects into
eCommerce stores have made the shopping task simple and easy. There are few steps to take for completing the checkout process successfully. This process is a crucial step for any eCommerce store. Being the final step, it holds ample significance. Purchasing online is the latest shopping trend.
Magento is the open source content management system basically used for building eCommerce websites and applications. There is no doubt that eCommerce websites have been performing well in this world of internet. Building up an online store and managing it well is not at all enough. To get fair
Magento is one of the best eCommerce application development platform that can help web development companies build excellent eCommerce solutions for enterprises seeking customized eCommerce application for the success of their online business. Magento 2 is the latest version of Magento offering
In today’s eCommerce era, Magento is the star with myriads of features for web developers as well as customers. Over time customers, shopping online, have started expecting more from the online stores owned by eCommerce giants. Magento being the perfect platform for building eCommerce store offers
Each year brings something new and beneficial in all aspects of life. eCommerce market is no exception and it can feel these novelties and latest trends that are directly associated with these technologies. With previous year’s trends i.e. personalization, localization, etc. let’s have a closer